Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Vietnam Toenails

I was getting my feet done at a nail place which is totally run by Vietnamese, NONE of them speak much English. I had just gotten comfortable when a man came limping toward the back of the shop. He was talking to the Vietnamese lady who was gettting his space ready, "Well, I had agent orange (with his accent, it sounded to me like he was saying 'ancient orange') and it has caused all these problems..." I looked straight ahead and closed my eyes. I really didn't want to get into a discussion with this guy. Don't get me wrong. I really respect anybody who fought in Vietnam, but I just wasn't in a generous mood. I don't get to have my feet done very often. So he went on and on about "ancient orange" as the lady clipped and filed his toenails. He kept talking, and she kept smiling. Finally he said, "Vietnam is a beautiful country." She relied, "Oh, you been to Vietnam?"

No comments:

Post a Comment